Meet The Machine

The place to talk about Georgia Tech football with current and alumni players
 
HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:13 pm

I hate to break it to all the Johnson fans, but dont expect anything special!

Just because there is a new face and attitude doesnt mean there wont be the same old GT problems. Just like when Gailey came to GT everybody was excited for a change. Ya theres a difference in the blocking and rushing scheme but where is the GREAT news about the passing game?

Everybody speaks so highly of this guy, but i can garauntee almost nobody has even seen a game coached by him! Just a reminder he came from Navy...ya, Navy. The same team that prided themselves on finishing 8-5 last year, while losing to the only ranked opponent they played 41-24! That ranked opponent, Rutgers...Who, OH BY THE WAY, DIDNT finish ranked!!

WHERES THE LOVE FOR GAILEY!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin


Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:44 pm

Quote from "oldfoggy" at bbuzzoff.com

So who is Zack? Is he a GT football guru? What does he really know? Has he coached with PJ? In fact what makes him the expert at any thing? Me I'll wait until PJ has had his chance at Tech. As for love of Gailey, I love the fact he's gone!


Last edited by Admin on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meetthemachine.forumj.net
Admin
Admin
Admin


Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:45 pm

Quote from "#1stinga6" at stingtalk.com

I actually have watched Coach Johnson coach down at Georgia Southern, and I am going to tell you it is some exciting football to watch, and he is a damn good coach because he knows one thing... how to win!!
__________________
THWG!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meetthemachine.forumj.net
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:47 pm

maybe if this guy had the bizalls to come to this site and tell me his opinion then I would waste my time responding to his comment until then, if anyone else can prove me wrong, try me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin


Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm

quote from "3518techie" at bbuzzoff.com

This sounds like typical low IQ drivel from some UGA fab. Anybody with a bit of smarts knows the extreme difficulty with recruiting at Navy. I would suggest that moron check the record of the Navy coaches before Paul Johnson. Johnson won 2 National Championships at GSU when he had a level of playing field. No coach comes with a guarantee for success but Johnson gives Tech a great chance at it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meetthemachine.forumj.net
IrishE
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:10 pm

You can't be serious Zack.. and all this time I thought you were smart... Chan Gailey needed to go. He neither upgraded Georgia Tech nor
drove it into a ditch, but lateral movement isnít to be confused
with success. Just by talking to some of the current players on our past radio shows you can tell that while Gailey was a "classy" and nice guy... there was no real admiration or respect near the end....their tone and opinions change when you mention Johnson.... they respect him. No respect. No job. Period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
avatar

Posts : 194
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:13 pm

I cant get involved, but I like hearing peoples opinions! Keep it coming!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 83
Join date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Man what it must be like to be 22 again.   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Zack, you were like what 14 when PJ won his titles at GSU? I am just wondering what you base your opinions on? How much Navy football did you watch? Pretty bold statement to make at such a young age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GPBurdell
JacketFan
JacketFan


Posts : 12
Join date : 2008-03-25
Age : 59

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm

You offer lots of personal opinion but fail to back up any of it with Facts.

Fact: PJ has won at every level he has coached.
Fact: You've never watched a PJ coached team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
avatar

Posts : 194
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 pm

quote from "LargeFrostedOrange" at bbuzzoff.com

Adamm, do you feel that the team as a whole *ALWAYS* played all-out under Gailey?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck
avatar

Posts : 194
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Atlanta, GA

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:34 pm

No, but you should not need a coach to motivate you! They coach you and can help motivate you but the drive has to be within the player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
Admin
Admin
Admin


Posts : 31
Join date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:45 pm

quote from "Wreck02" at stingtalk.com

For me, the Gailey hiring was like, "Wha???" In fact, I wasn't even sure who he was, LOL. EVERYONE who knows anything about college football knows who CPJ is. This guy was a highly sought-after coach. I don't remember people bidding high dollars for Gailey's services. I thought he did ok at Tech and wasn't as bad as many have made him out to be but we needed a COLLEGE coach and we got one. CPJ is a winner and its proven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meetthemachine.forumj.net
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:50 pm

FACT: Johnson has never coached a high quality divison 1 team. Yes, he has been a succesful coach at GSU (BTW I guess that's in Georgia somewhere?.. Where is that redneckville?) and sure he did have some wins with the Navy.
But the bottom line is Coach Johnson has never coached a big time Division 1 team and the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC and what are we gonna do once the option gets shoved up our ass???? the triple option is an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football we're not gonna have any passing game... considering Josh Nesbit is a running QB and not a passing QB.. and he seems to be our most likey choice as starter. Also, who is this new staff.. who is Wommack? We go from Tenuta the best defensive coordinater in the nation... to this guy Wommack? What the hell has this guy done?
Everyone keeps mentioning Johnson and the triple option no one runs the triple option in the top 25 teams... why? because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated....Johnson is used to swimming around in little ponds where that may work... but he's in bigger waters now.... ACC d lines will LOVE this play... it will increase their TFL stats....
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE GT... but I'm not jumping on the Johnson bandwagon yet.. he has to prove himself to me...you other lemmings can go ahead and follow Johnson.. maybe he'll lead you off a cliff.....


Last edited by -Zack- on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Admin wrote:
quote from "Wreck02" at stingtalk.com

For me, the Gailey hiring was like, "Wha???" In fact, I wasn't even sure who he was, LOL. EVERYONE who knows anything about college football knows who CPJ is.

You weren't even sure who Gailey was?.... do you WATCH football?.... He was head coach at Dallas for 2f-in years!!!

PJ?... Navy and GSU?.... oh yeah... that's some GREAT coaching experience....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fortebuna
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 1
Join date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: ZACK   Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:32 pm

Oldfoggy and I are very close friends and I'm sure if he wanted to come here to chat with you he would but he probably could care less, but I will ask him. Anyway after reading your what I assume was your response to him, I for one totally agree with what he said. Sorry you did not get your guy but as for PJ I'll give him less time than was given Gailey. Your mentioned Gailey, he was fired at Dallas and sure never made a name for himself in the Pro game, a small name for him self in D2 ball and no name at the d1 school named Georgia Institute of Technology.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theDude47
WannaBee
WannaBee
avatar

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-03-24
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I usually choose not to respond to stuff like this, but oh well! First of all, it was sad to see Coach Tenuta leave and he did a great service to Georgia Tech football while he was here. Do I think we will suffer without him? The answer is a definite no! By the end of last season, every team that had a decent passer dominated us. Teams were starting to figure out if they could hold off the pressure from the blitz for just a second and get a quick out route pass, they could simply walk down the field. Tenuta's defenses were all or nothing and occasionally we got really burned. Second, don't go around and bash our new DC Dave Wommack. Wommack had great defenses at Southern Mississippi that ranked as some of the top in the nation. He will hopefully bring a more balanced defense onto the field and do a great job. If he fails to do well, PJ will make sure he can find someone else who can get the job done.

You don't have to drink the cool-aide but you shouldn't be a dick either. Backing up a lot of what you say would go a long way in helping your arguments. PJ is respected nationally for a reason. I'll write more about that later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
geebee2
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 83
Join date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Zack   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:03 pm

I for one will support GT and for that matter will support PJ until he does not get the job done. One thing is for sure is that Tech football needs all the support it can get. If he falters, then its time to not support him......at least give him a freaking chance. I am not saying fall in love with him, but support him and his new staff. He has earned that much since everywhere he has gone he has done a damn good job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GTdaddy
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:19 pm

-Zack- wrote:
FACT: Johnson has never coached a high quality divison 1 team. Yes, he has been a succesful coach at GSU (BTW I guess that's in Georgia somewhere?.. Where is that redneckville?) and sure he did have some wins with the Navy.
But the bottom line is Coach Johnson has never coached a big time Division 1 team and the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC and what are we gonna do once the option gets shoved up our ass???? the triple option is an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football we're not gonna have any passing game... considering Josh Nesbit is a running QB and not a passing QB.. and he seems to be our most likey choice as starter. Also, who is this new staff.. who is Wommack? We go from Tenuta the best defensive coordinater in the nation... to this guy Wommack? What the hell has this guy done?
Everyone keeps mentioning Johnson and the triple option no one runs the triple option in the top 25 teams... why? because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated....Johnson is used to swimming around in little ponds where that may work... but he's in bigger waters now.... ACC d lines will LOVE this play... it will increase their TFL stats....
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE GT... but I'm not jumping on the Johnson bandwagon yet.. he has to prove himself to me...you other lemmings can go ahead and follow Johnson.. maybe he'll lead you off a cliff.....

This Zack guy is probably 20 oz. just trying to stir up the pot..He will be eating his words in several months from now, oh will disappear to never return
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ncjacket
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 3
Join date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 pm

-Zack- wrote:

But the bottom line is Coach Johnson has never coached a big time Division 1 team and the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC and what are we gonna do once the option gets shoved up our ass???? the triple option is an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football we're not gonna have any passing game... considering Josh Nesbit is a running QB and not a passing QB.. and he seems to be our most likey choice as starter. Also, who is this new staff.. who is Wommack? We go from Tenuta the best defensive coordinater in the nation... to this guy Wommack? What the hell has this guy done?
Everyone keeps mentioning Johnson and the triple option no one runs the triple option in the top 25 teams... why? because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated....Johnson is used to swimming around in little ponds where that may work... but he's in bigger waters now.... ACC d lines will LOVE this play... it will increase their TFL stats....
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE GT... but I'm not jumping on the Johnson bandwagon yet.. he has to prove himself to me...you other lemmings can go ahead and follow Johnson.. maybe he'll lead you off a cliff.....
So this is all based on your extensive football experience I guess? Please. You have no clue what you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mack
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz


Posts : 32
Join date : 2008-03-25
Age : 70
Location : wadley ga

PostSubject: support for PJ   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 pm

geebee2 wrote:
I for one will support GT and for that matter will support PJ until he does not get the job done. One thing is for sure is that Tech football needs all the support it can get. If he falters, then its time to not support him......at least give him a freaking chance. I am not saying fall in love with him, but support him and his new staff. He has earned that much since everywhere he has gone he has done a damn good job.
I think after six years of Chan I can give Pj the benefitof the doubt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mack
BabyBuzz
BabyBuzz


Posts : 32
Join date : 2008-03-25
Age : 70
Location : wadley ga

PostSubject: Jon T   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 pm

theDude47 wrote:
I usually choose not to respond to stuff like this, but oh well! First of all, it was sad to see Coach Tenuta leave and he did a great service to Georgia Tech football while he was here. Do I think we will suffer without him? The answer is a definite no! By the end of last season, every team that had a decent passer dominated us. Teams were starting to figure out if they could hold off the pressure from the blitz for just a second and get a quick out route pass, they could simply walk down the field. Tenuta's defenses were all or nothing and occasionally we got really burned. Second, don't go around and bash our new DC Dave Wommack. Wommack had great defenses at Southern Mississippi that ranked as some of the top in the nation. He will hopefully bring a more balanced defense onto the field and do a great job. If he fails to do well, PJ will make sure he can find someone else who can get the job done.

You don't have to drink the cool-aide but you shouldn't be a dick either. Backing up a lot of what you say would go a long way in helping your arguments. PJ is respected nationally for a reason. I'll write more about that later.
You hit it on the head.We lived and died by the blitz and of course we could not cover so folks picked us to death especially on big plays.Like the agressive play of Jon T but wished we had better corners to stop the pass .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3518techie
WannaBee
WannaBee


Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:35 pm

-Zack- wrote:
FACT: Johnson has never coached a high quality divison 1 team. Yes, he has been a succesful coach at GSU (BTW I guess that's in Georgia somewhere?.. Where is that redneckville?) and sure he did have some wins with the Navy.
But the bottom line is Coach Johnson has never coached a big time Division 1 team and the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC and what are we gonna do once the option gets shoved up our ass???? the triple option is an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football we're not gonna have any passing game... considering Josh Nesbit is a running QB and not a passing QB.. and he seems to be our most likey choice as starter. Also, who is this new staff.. who is Wommack? We go from Tenuta the best defensive coordinater in the nation... to this guy Wommack? What the hell has this guy done?
Everyone keeps mentioning Johnson and the triple option no one runs the triple option in the top 25 teams... why? because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated....Johnson is used to swimming around in little ponds where that may work... but he's in bigger waters now.... ACC d lines will LOVE this play... it will increase their TFL stats....
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE GT... but I'm not jumping on the Johnson bandwagon yet.. he has to prove himself to me...you other lemmings can go ahead and follow Johnson.. maybe he'll lead you off a cliff.....

Let's see, West Virginia runs a similar offense but out of the shotgun. They have won 2 BCS bowls in the past 3 years. Also, your facts are horrible. Nesbitt had big passing numbers coming out of high school. He was a 4 star recruit. Funny, when Navy played BC in a bowl 2 years ago. They put up 24 points and lost by a point. They put up a lot of yards on Wake. I can guarantee you no ACC DC wants to play against the triple option.
I liked Tenuta but offenses were catching up to him last year. We couldn't defend the pass. I have some questions about Wommack but I'll give him a chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 am

i like how you guys try to point out my age as a factor in knowledge of football, nice try but i know quite a few 22-25 year olds who know a hell of a lot more than the average 30 or 40 year old, so thats a pretty poor attempt at knocking me. Also, try and tell ME to back up my info with facts? PLEASE!! im the only one giving facts, all you guys can say is "well you've never seen him coach a game".. I dont need to see someone coach a game, all I need to see are the stats. Furthermore, sorry but the last thing on my schedule is going to see a Georgia Southern or Navy game, try and tell me you really WANTED to go watch that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-Zack-
Buzz
Buzz


Posts : 97
Join date : 2008-03-17
Age : 32
Location : Tampa, Fl.

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 am

geebee2 wrote:
I for one will support GT and for that matter will support PJ until he does not get the job done. One thing is for sure is that Tech football needs all the support it can get. If he falters, then its time to not support him.......

THERES THE BANDWAGON JUMPER I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!!

WOW!! that was easier than i thought..

I never said i wont give him a chance. I'm just saying its funny how quickly you disregard Gailey and say how great PJ is, then say you'll give up on him if he "falters" ... shows strong character! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theDude47
WannaBee
WannaBee
avatar

Posts : 9
Join date : 2008-03-24
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:17 am

-Zack- wrote:
FACT: Johnson has never coached a high quality divison 1 team. Yes, he has been a succesful coach at GSU (BTW I guess that's in Georgia somewhere?.. Where is that redneckville?) and sure he did have some wins with the Navy.
But the bottom line is Coach Johnson has never coached a big time Division 1 team and the triple option is not gonna work against a disciplined athletic defense of the ACC and what are we gonna do once the option gets shoved up our ass???? the triple option is an antiquated, unbalanced system unfit for major college football we're not gonna have any passing game... considering Josh Nesbit is a running QB and not a passing QB.. and he seems to be our most likey choice as starter. Also, who is this new staff.. who is Wommack? We go from Tenuta the best defensive coordinater in the nation... to this guy Wommack? What the hell has this guy done?
Everyone keeps mentioning Johnson and the triple option no one runs the triple option in the top 25 teams... why? because everytime you run the option you leave your QB wide open to get annihalated....Johnson is used to swimming around in little ponds where that may work... but he's in bigger waters now.... ACC d lines will LOVE this play... it will increase their TFL stats....
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE GT... but I'm not jumping on the Johnson bandwagon yet.. he has to prove himself to me...you other lemmings can go ahead and follow Johnson.. maybe he'll lead you off a cliff.....

Alright, let's get this going. First of all, your first fact is not a fact, it is an opinion. I probably couldn't give you a team of higher quality division 1 athletes than Navy. If you mean "quality" in the sense that they were the top physical specimens at their respected positions, then you would be right. If you mean "quality" in the sense that they were tough and would always play their hardest for their coach and school, then you are quite wrong. About disciplined ACC defenses...I seem to remember during the 2006 bowl season when Navy almost beat Boston College if not for a fumble at the end of the game. Last year they averaged over 25 points a game against teams that had way more talent than them. The only reason Navy really lost games under PJ was because of the lack of talent on defense...not going to be a problem here. You also call it an unbalanced offensive scheme, but in fact you couldn't be more wrong. The offense is extremely confusing to defenses and can be used rather easily to set up the past. I went to practice on Monday to find the offense passing a majority of the time. QBs also don't get "annihilated". Find me an instance under Paul Johnson in the last 6 years that was hurt so badly he couldn't keep playing football. Have you ever read in depth articles or guides on how the triple option is run? Have you seen the comparison of our recruits to the kind PJ was working with at Navy? I'm not telling you to jump on the bandwagon, I'm just asking you to have a better argument for your thoughts. I can't tell you that we are going to do awesome next year, but I can't tell you that you are 100% right either. It's alright to have opinions, everyone does, just don't try passing them off as facts. Do you get it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!   

Back to top Go down
 
Johnson's not the right fit for GT!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Peter Stastny: Johnson/Stewart trade destroyed the Avs!
» Jack Johnson irate over GM Dean Lombardi's comments
» Coach Brooks Johnson hand picks his elite squad
» Kale Johnson - Sprint star in the making
» This is your Life: 'Johnnie' Johnson, Spitfire Ace

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Meet The Machine :: Georgia Tech Football :: Georgia Tech Football-
Jump to: