Share | 

08/09 Expectations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lakebuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: 08/09 Expectations   Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 pm

With recruiting quiet and six LONG weeks still remaining before kick-off.....a common fans expectations for 08...

Offense

Pre-season End of Season Depth

QB - C B C

This position seems to be more impactful in this offense than in other offenses. IF Josh has the descision making ability, his awesome talent plus CPJ's coaching will drive improvement. Descision making/instinct/feel for the game is hard to coach. If Josh's grade exceeds a B, GT wil have a better than expected season. (Bye the way this grading system is a way to simplify this post. Those with more analytical expertise and time, feel free to expound..... but in my 'simple' world an A excellent, B Good, C fair or unsure, D - poor, F - Failure). I base my depth grade on experience, not potential.

The depth at this position should Josh get hurt or not get it done is uncertain at best. We have heard that Jaybo Shaw looks great in pre-season drills and Tevon Washington is a real sleeper. I personally feel we will be fine at this postion due to CPJ have a new QB several years at the start of each season while at Navy. If Josh can somehow stay healthy he should be good by the end of the year. (And could very well be great). The depth should be improved by years end and has the potential to be an A going into next year.

B Back

Pre Season End of Season Depth

B A C

Jonathon Dwyer is one of the highest recruited, most talented, fastest backs we have had, ever! He demonstrated this potential last year in mop up duty. He also seems to have that rare nose for the end zone. If he is not an A at the end of the season this will be a disapointment. I read CPJ has him losing weight to get more lean and probably increased speed. If he and Josh gel we are in very good shape. If these two don't fumble we can be very good, THIS YEAR!!

Depth has no experience but Luke Cox impressed in the spring and Richard Watson seems to be the real deal. This depth should be a B by years end and should be an A coming in to next year.

A Back

Pre Season End of Season Depth
B B+ B-

Greg Smith seems to have a great upside, Roddy Jones was voted most underated on the offense by Michael Johnson. Marcus Wright and Embry Peeples may be forced into duty sooner than later, but this might be a good thing. Embry was hurt his senior year and has sleeper written all over him and from watching Marcus Wrights video's and his 3374 yard/45 TD/Parade All-American senior season (why more don't seem to talk about this is beyond me), he may be the best back on the roster. (Especially for this offense that gets players in space.) The thought of this kid in space is just short of......

Depth beyond these four is an unknown for me. Going into 09 all four return and should easily be a strength of the team. Does anyone see a trend here!!!

Just think of the potential talent of Josh Nesbitt, Roddy Jones, Jonathon Dwyer, and Marcus Wright all on the field at the same time!!!! This is some serious talent!!! Throw in the projected starter Greg Smith and Embry Peeples and suddenly we have the 'potential' to have the best back field IN THE COUNTRY next year!

Wide Reciever

Pre Season End Season Depth
C B D

While Cory Earls and Demarius Thomas have a ton of potential the units lack of overall experience and depth give this position some pre-season concern. As long as CE and DT stay healthy and prove they can block this position could be the 'sleeper' of the team. And while our depth is a concern, the A back position and their abilities to be the third and fourth reciever on any given play suddenly seem to enhance 'this' position and its ability to produce yards in the passing game. Greg Smith has proven he can catch the ball and Roddy Jones is certainly fast enought to produce some mis-matches. Also, Josh Nesbitt was very accurate as a passer in high school, has an underated arm, etc.

Depth is a D due to unknowns as back ups. The good news is the QB's that doesn't start certainly can add depth here if needed.

OL

B- B+ B

B- grade is due to lack of experience in this offense. B+ end season grade due to JR/SR's througout the two deep and three redshirt FR that all were highly recruited. A surprise may come from one or even two of the freshman based on several comments from several 'poster's', stories, etc. and our lack of depth at a critical position, center.

I intially gave the Depth for this group a C, but after looking over this group and its 'potential' my grade was forced to increase. Barring a high number of injuries, this unit should make the most improvement during the season with inreased repetiition. Next years line will be younger with 3 seniors graduating but more athletic. Getting to any bowl this year and the extra practices that come with it will be most benefitial for this unit going into 09

Defense

DL

A A A

MJ, VW, DR, DM enough said. VW and MJ are getting all of the pre-season pub, but I feel Derrick Morgan (#1 recruit in PA) and Daryl Richard will surprise people this year due to the attention the other two are going to get. Jason Peters, Logan Walls, Elris Anyaibe, Ben Anderson and Robert Hall all provide solid depth and will play quite a bit.

Linebackers

Pre-Season End Season Depth

C B+ B+

Call me crazy but this is the most talented and deepest unit on the team. Going down the two and three deep and the incoming freshman and this is a who's who of talent, and that word again, potential! Why a grade of C, lack of experience. I have heard several say that from a player development perspective Coach Brian Jean-Mary is top shelf. This year we will see how good he is. If this talent plays up to its potential than this years team will surprise.

Depth and Pre-Season going into next year should be like our DL this year. Look out in 09!

DB

C- C+ D

Jahi and Morgan are solid, BOTH having all ACC potential. Jahi has played on an island so many times during his carreer his nickname should be 'Jahi Bahama'. New multiple coverage schemes should help, but remains to be seen. Depth and lack of experience, for me, forces a grade of C-. The likely loss of Tarrant adds fuel to the fire. If our pass defense can maintain previous year numbers Coach Kelly and Coach Womack will have earned their money!! If the DL can live up to their expectation and get consistant pressure on the QB, our young athletic LB's should be able to help our young DB's in coverage and be surprisingly a good unit over all. Overall too many ??'s

Special teams

C C+ B

While overall team depth and athletisism has improved over the past years with improved recruiting, losing your All American punter and FG kicker in the same year, is cause for concern. We may lose a game we should have won because of this. Our coverage and return teams should be OK with our 'inventory' of athletes. While Coach Kelly turned these units around last year, new coaching in this area, done by committee, as a strategy for success remains to be seen. Looking up Georgia Southerns and Navy's stats in this area may shed more light, but I'm outta time for this post.....

Too many if's, should's and could's on the DB, LB, QB, WR and Special teams units. This on top of having to learn three new systems 'could' be the reason this team doesn't meet expectations.... Our coaches will earn their money this year and unlike Paul's first year at Navy, our talent cupboard is NOT bare.

Regardless of this years results, without a doubt we should be better next year. IF we can continue our early recruiting success our program is postioned to be very good in 09 and beyond. I'm expecting top 15 good!!

Thoughts?

Go Jackets!! THWG!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMachine
RamblinWreck
RamblinWreck

PostSubject: Re: 08/09 Expectations   Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:08 pm

great post, I may use this on a future show!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
Lakebuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: I'm sure 33 could shed some light...   Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Adam,

Thanks, I'm sure you and crew could add even more and would make a good show, or at least part of one. BTW I am the one who has been talking to Jim about how awesome the show is and the other applications for the technology you guys have developed.

Have listened to all of the shows and enjoy each one. I do suggest you and Double B merge your forums and market as one. If the 'success' of forums/websites are mesured in hits then the forum part of the equation can pull in listeners to the show. Does the hive have a problem with you 'advertising' your show, not sure how many on the hive know how good they are. What about GT Blog? or even ramblinwreck.com?

You are THE Machine, I am an idea machine. (even if you have already thought of them) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PoppaNovember
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: 08/09 Expectations   Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Nice post, Lakebuzz. I agree with you that Wright has not been getting a whole lot of hooplah, but his performance in High School, with his speed and moves, could make him a home run hitter at that A-Back spot! I see him doing some return duty too, if he proves he can hold onto the ball.

Glad to hear that Jaybo has looked good in summer drills. I have a good feeling about that dude. He seems to have a confidence about him that a QB needs for this offense. And I'm quite certain that PJ will use 2 QB's on a regular basis. It's just too much wear and tear on the QB otherwise. I'd expect to see the backup run a series each quarter, on average.

Good point on Machine's site vs BBuzzoff.. I'd like to somehow see the forums join up.

PN
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lakebuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: forums   Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 am

the different message boards are kinda like christianity...the hive = baptists, fart too loud and you are gone, stingtalk is like the methodists or baptist light. Well MTM they are like the Catholics, a little smoking and drinking is acceptable....

like most die hard GT fans we scan all of them for that one nugget of info about our beloved Jackets. That is why I love this site, very informative with quality information like no other site on the web. Are you kidding me, interviews with coaches and players? Beat writers....from Navy to provide a great unique perspective. Wayne Root.....now I don't know where that came from but an interesting show nonetheless.

GO LIBERTARIANS!!!! What division do they play in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PoppaNovember
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: 08/09 Expectations   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Lakebuzz wrote:
the different message boards are kinda like christianity...the hive = baptists, fart too loud and you are gone, stingtalk is like the methodists or baptist light. Well MTM they are like the Catholics, a little smoking and drinking is acceptable....
I like your analogy... So does that make Adamm the Pope, and Irish the ArchBishop of Dublin? I'm thinking with so many celebrity guests on MTM radio, Machine is a little more like L. Ron Hubbard...
Not sure what that means for Irish tho... geek

(btw, Scott over at the GT Sports Blog is the Dali Lama)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IrishE
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 08/09 Expectations   Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am

PoppaNovember wrote:
Lakebuzz wrote:
I like your analogy... So does that make Adamm the Pope, and Irish the ArchBishop of Dublin? I'm thinking with so many celebrity guests on MTM radio, Machine is a little more like L. Ron Hubbard...
Not sure what that means for Irish tho... geek

(btw, Scott over at the GT Sports Blog is the Dali Lama)

Maybe I could be Xenu, (for those of you unfamiliar with this awesome part of Scientology look here: http://www.scientology-lies.com/faq/teachings/aliens.html)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.meetthemachine.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 08/09 Expectations   Today at 11:57 am

Back to top Go down

08/09 Expectations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1