Share | 

To Punt or Not to Punt?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: To Punt or Not to Punt?   Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Came across this article, granted it is a little old and thought it was an interesting discussion topic.
It Doesn't Pay to Punt

I want to hear what you all think about the idea of never punting. I know we should all be biased towards booting it since we are used to seeing Durant out on the Flats, but it is definitely an interesting proposition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allamericanbuzz
JacketFan
JacketFan

PostSubject: Re: To Punt or Not to Punt?   Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:17 pm

I think those who advocate going for it on 4th and short are forgetting that there is a psychological affect on the team if they do not convert the first down.

If players weren't human, then I would go with the odds and forgo the punt on 4th and short, but with real players playing with real emotions, if you don't make it, there is a huge momentum shift to the other team and you've probably done a whole lot of damage to your team's psyche.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mifune
WannaBee
WannaBee

PostSubject: Re: To Punt or Not to Punt?   Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 am

allamericanbuzz wrote:
I think those who advocate going for it on 4th and short are forgetting that there is a psychological affect on the team if they do not convert the first down.

If players weren't human, then I would go with the odds and forgo the punt on 4th and short, but with real players playing with real emotions, if you don't make it, there is a huge momentum shift to the other team and you've probably done a whole lot of damage to your team's psyche.

Part of that psychological swing is based on the expectation of punting. For teams, like TT, there is a momentum swing from punting. The team philosophy is built on aggressiveness. As a team, they would prefer to attack and fail, rather than voluntarily hand the ball over.

I don't agree with the article though. You can't take overall season long, league wide statistics and apply them to a specific team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: To Punt or Not to Punt?   Thu May 01, 2008 11:36 am

I think that if the team is coached with the expectation that they are going to always go for it anywhere on the field if it is fourth and short and other situations, then the physcological damage to them if they don't get convert wouldn't be that bad. The defense would be playing knowing that is how their team plays, but anytime they do convert, it can really take the emotion out of the other team's defense.

It may take time to indoctrinate players to that philosophy and you may need to tweak some of the circumstances of when you go for it on 4th, like maybe punt on 4th inside your own 20, but I think the idea has merrit. It would change the way the game plays and how long you control the ball for everytime that you succeed in converting.

I am still looking for the follow up on the article, there is a high school (in Kansas i think) that has applied the no punting strategy and has entirely dominated over the past couple years. Will update if/when I find it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT_Fox
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: To Punt or Not to Punt?   Thu May 15, 2008 11:14 am

This was kind of touched on the radio show last night.

I am excited to hear that CPJ's offense and mentality will be to go for it when it is 4th and short. It will be a lot more aggressive than in the past and probably get us a lot more points over the course of the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tech Head
Buzz
Buzz

PostSubject: Re: To Punt or Not to Punt?   Thu May 15, 2008 12:26 pm

GT_Fox wrote:
This was kind of touched on the radio show last night.

I am excited to hear that CPJ's offense and mentality will be to go for it when it is 4th and short. It will be a lot more aggressive than in the past and probably get us a lot more points over the course of the season.
I think PJ vs CG going for it is total different stories. Our offense stunk for 6 years under Chan and our defense was what won games for us. Our offense was even worse at short yardage plays. It made since to me why we did not go for it under Gailey. We played to our strength. With PJ there I am sure our offense will be much better and it will make since to go for it. I don't think every team should go for it. I think it depends on the context and your strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Punt or Not to Punt?   

Back to top Go down

To Punt or Not to Punt?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1